Max
offline Max
SF Bay Area
Advertisement
  • Anon Salon: Sea of Dreams
    www.seaofdreamsnye.com/

Tantra, always does a NYE party with FnF at Somarts Gallery:
    www.tantrasf.com/

Otherworld may also be doing a party in West Oakland. That link should not be posted (and I'm not even sure they are).
    • The party at the SomArts is definitely happening. FnF is not, nor have they every been, involved in the NYE SomArts events. Last year the co-producers were rEvolution and the Ambient Mafia.

This year, Tantra is joined by Get Freaky, Know:Audio (that's me), Ambient Mafia, and Word of Mouth. Four rooms of music: old-skool Goa Trance, Techno/Electro/D&B, Breaks, and Chill. And Freq Nasty is headlining the breaks room. The SomArts party this year is going to be off the hook!

Otherworld isn't hosting an event this year. But Naked Slice and Mike Sims (fresh out of a 7 year retirement) of the OW will be joining us in the Know:Audio room, along with Marin on deco, and Radiant Atmospheres on lighting.

BTW this party is 18+ and will be rockin' out til 8am New Years Day.
      • Thanks for the update!

Last time i went to Tantra, FnF was involved, but that was 4-5 years ago. I couldn't find any info on Tantra, but knew it was happening, and new Forest Green was playing there, so made my own wrong conclusions.

Glad to hear some OW folks are gonna be a part of it. Although I personally would rather be at OW. $20 and byob is more my style than a $60 and buy our expensive chai (are they even going to have a bar? I know John is very anti alcohol- but he's also very pro-$).

What about other options? Especially for us poor-ass-bunnies.
        • Ouch Aaron, thats pretty harsh! I've been involved with John Woods in different events since the 1995 Pacific/Gateway NYE party. John's lost so much money on parties over the years that it's not even funny. Sometimes planned, sometimes not. Honestly I think it's really unfair of you to malign him in that way considering the sacrifices he's made to the scene over the years. You may not like him as a person. You may not like his events. That's OK. But calling him a money-grubber is pretty fucking lame!

Sure we would all love it if parties were always $20. But the fact of the matter is that doing an event on NYE simply costs more. Security is more expensive, spaces ask more for rent, production costs increase greatly, and DJ's charge more. And while it's real nice that the Otherworld can get away with doing events for as cheap as they do on occasion, the fact of the matter is that they subsidize the occasional event by paying rent on their space year-round. And while they can get away with it every once in a while, that business model is simply not sustainable over the long term.

If you're trying to save a little loot, ticket to the SomArts event are $30 if you buy them presale right now. They'll be $40 at the door, which still makes it one of the cheapest parties in SF, especially considering 4 rooms of music/ open til 8am.
          • nothin at ow this year? i had actually heard otherwise but maybe my birds are off key.... there are a shitload of little family style events, partied with false profit the last two years and it was quite nice and with little effort you can find out about those always good music and friendly happy people....

Recent topics in "SFRaves"